Meet the Freds

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

We Need One Like Him Today...

Yesterday in my Research Writing class, we took part in a discussion where we broke down the rhetorical tools of Martin Luther King Jr's speech, "I Have a Dream". Would you believe that although I have heard many parts of this speech, yesterday was the first time I have read the speech from start to finish. Sad, I know. As my class devoured the speech and uncovered the strategic forms rhetoric which MLK used, I was overwhelmed by the power in his voice, the sincerity in his words, the concern for freedom, and his inclusive approach towards every American. Thanks to the luxuries of the internet, and the accessibility that Youtube offers, I was able to go back and watched his speech one more time. How refreshing it was to have the absence of a Republican, Democratic, or other bias. How refreshing it was to hear someone who focused on EVERYONE'S well-being, and not just the popular majority. How refreshing it was to hear someone speak with such conviction and then know that following that speech, there was action. This made me think of how America now needs a modern day Martin Luther King. In the last year I have become a lot more interested in politics so that I can be aware of what is going on in the world around me. Man oh man, politics are EX-HAUS-TING! Far too often I hear empty promises and discrete lies. How wonderful it would be to hear from someone, like Dr. King, who didn't focus on destroying their opponents views or building themselves up just for the vote, but instead focused on the American Dream for everyone. It's no secret that America is struggling, any country would when opposing forces are only growing farther and farther apart. How far right can one go, and how far left? Just like in the gospel, sometimes the most effective thing we can do for ourselves is go back to the basics, I think that is exactly what our government needs, go back to the basics. Stop worrying about border patrol or taxes for just a moment and put sole focus on freedom...

Anyways, I promise I won't stand on the political soap box often but after yesterday's lecture, this has just laid heavily on my mind. We as American's are extremely blessed to have the luxuries and freedoms that we do and I personally don't want to loose those freedoms.

MLK's speech...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbUtL_0vAJk

No comments:

Post a Comment